U.S. Special Forces Operate in more than 80 CountriesSunday, April 26, 2015U.S. Special Forces anti-narco training in Colombia (photo: Scott Dalton, AP)
The reach of the U.S. military is virtually endless, with nearly every nation on earth having some kind of American armed forces presence. The commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has said that in 80 of those countries there are now Special Forces troops.
The U.S. Special Forces are a kind of army within an army. There are about 69,000 sailors, soldiers, airmen and Marines in the Special Operations Forces (SOF), which operate as part of USSOCOM under Army General Joseph Votel.
Votel testified (pdf) to the House Armed Services Committee Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities last month, outlining the mission and capabilities of USSOCOM. Votel described the reach of SOF troops, pointing out that in 80 countries around the world, about 3,500 are stationed in “forward” positions and 7,000 in support of Geographic Combatant Command operations. Missions, he said, include working with governments to improve local security to “high-risk counterterrorism operations.”
U.S. Special Forces are stretched thin, Votel said, with most having done between four and 10 deployments, and often less than a year off between overseas tours. “SOF and their families have been under unprecedented levels of stress; it is imperative to address the effects of more than 13 years of combat operations,” Votel testified.
One reason U.S. Special Forces are stationed in so many places might be that other countries don’t have equivalent troops they can deploy. In an op-ed written for CNN, Meaghan Keeler-Pettigrew and Stuart Bradin of the Global Special Operations Forces Foundation argued that more of our foreign military spending ($5.65 billion in 2015), the bulk of which goes now to Israel and Egypt, should instead be used to bolster other countries’ own special forces.
Keeler-Pettigrew and Bradin pointed out recent terrorist attacks in Kenya and the threat posed in Nigeria by Boko Haram. Those countries get no more than $1.2 million and $600,000 respectively in U.S. military aid. Increased funding directed to counter-terrorist forces in those countries and others could lessen the need to U.S. forces to be sprinkled so liberally around the world.
To Learn More:
Gen. Joseph Votel Statement (House Armed Services Committee) (pdf)
Special Forces: What U.S. Gets Wrong (by Meaghan Keeler-Pettigrew and Stuart Bradin, Global Special Operations Forces Foundation)
U.S. has Military Bases in at least 38 Countries and Sent Weapons to 94 Countries in Last 5 Years (by Steve Straehley, AllGov)
- Kerry in Riyadh: A meeting of war criminals – World Socialist Web Site May 10, 2015Published by the International Committee of the Fourth International (ICFI) Kerry in Riyadh: A meeting of war criminals Source: Bill Van Auken 8 May 2015 US Secretary of State John Kerry appeared side by side with his Saudi counterpart, Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, in Saudi Arabia’s capital of Riyadh Thursday and praised the monarchical oil regime […] […]
- Breaking the Silence: Israeli Army Deliberately Targeted Civilians | The Fifth Column May 8, 2015by The Fifth Column • May 5, 2015 Gaza, Palestine (IMEMC) – Breaking the Silence, an organization of veteran Israeli soldiers, harshly slammed the Israeli army for its operational policy during last summer’s aggression on Gaza, saying it led to “immense and unprecedented harm to the civilian population and infrastructures in the Gaza Strip,” Monday reported […]
- CFR Says China Must Be Defeated, & TPP Is Essential to That! May 5, 2015CFR Says China Must Be Defeated, & TPP Is Essential to That! Posted by Charleston Voice With the Rothschilds now with beacheads on every shore, there’s nary a safe climate for individual liberty. Rothschild Link Source Library (multi-lingual) image: http://www.newsfollowup.com/id/images_59/israel_palestine_1949_bnai_brith_truman_jacobson_bisgyr_goldman_r […]
- What Do We Know about the Torture Photos Obama Refuses to Release? May 5, 2015uesday, May 05, 2015 Associated Press The Obama administration continues to withhold from public view thousands of photos depicting torture of Iraqis and other foreign citizens by the U.S. military. As it awaits an administration decision this month on the photos’ release, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has published what it knows about the […] […]
- The Bill & Hillary Slush Fund May 5, 2015Posted by Charleston Voice 1271 Avenue of the Americas – 42nd Floor New York, NY 10020 Phone :(212) 348-8882 Email :http://www.clintonfoundation.org/about/contact-us URL :http://www.clintonfoundation.org/clinton-presidential-center/about/bill-hillary-chelsea-clinton-foundation image: http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/images/newsmallershape.gif Read more at […]
- US Treasury Bonds,The Godfather Of All Bubbles May 4, 2015Synopsis Charles E Carlson The 30-plus-year-old bull market in US bonds, notes and bills may well be the most destructive man-made “Bubble” in all of recorded history. It will sooner or later implode because it is unsound to the core. A puncturing of the bubble may start when any of several huge holders sells. Its implosion will trigger the […] […]
- Can the President Kill Americans…and You? May 4, 2015Can the president kill you? The short answer is: Yes, but not legally. Yet, President Obama has established a secret process that involves officials from the Departments of Justice and Defense, the CIA, and the White House senior staff whereby candidates are proposed for execution, and the collective wisdom of the officials then recommends execution […]
- Gold Manipulators Busted May 3, 2015Gold Manipulators Busted After Zero Hedge Report On Flagrant Gold Spoofing By Tyler Durden Zero Hedge May 2, 2015 In the aftermath of the Nav Sarao scapegoating farce, one week ago Zero Hedge decided to give the confused CFTC a helping hand and launched a daily series highlighting the constant spoofing and “manipulation” (in the […]